Take 5 to Innergize
Warrior III Pose
Strengthens standing leg, tones abdominal muscles, buttocks, legs, back and arms, lengthen spine, improves balance, burns calories, improves posture, increases energy and more.
- Step 1: Remove your socks and shoes if possible. Stand in Mountain Pose for a moment, with your feet hip distance apart, feet parallel to each other. Stand away from your chair and desk. Contract your abdominal muscles, lift your chest up and relax your shoulders back and down. Be tall and lifted. Turn your palms to face forward, drawing your shoulders back a bit more. Close your eyes.
- Step 2: Open your eyes and find a focal point. Shift your weight into your right foot and contract your abdominal muscles. As you inhale, sweep your arms up to the ceiling, reaching straight overhead, palms facing each other. As you exhale, lift your left toes off the floor behind you slightly. Start to tilt slightly forward, keeping your spine straight. Allow your focal point to shift to the floor as necessary. Soften your right knee slightly so that you don’t “lock” it.
- Step 3: Stay here if this is enough for you. Otherwise, lift your left leg higher up, and hinge forward more from your hips, bringing your body parallel to the floor. To keep your hips level, internally rotate your left thigh toward the ground.
- Step 4: Reach out through your fingers and reach back through your left foot at the same time. Keep your belly pulled in. Breathe deeply, staying here for 3-5 breaths.
- Step 5: To come out, as you inhale, rise up tall, and place your left foot back on the floor. As you exhale, lower both arms down to your sides.
- Step 6: Repeat on the other side, then stand in Mountain Pose again for a few moments, breathing deeply.