Take 5 to Innergize
Standing Hip Stretch
Deeply stretches hips and buttocks, strengthens standing leg, releases tension in hips, buttocks and legs, tones abdominal muscles, lengthen spine, improves balance and more.
- Step 1: Remove your socks and shoes if possible. Stand behind your chair (or desk, or anything you can use that is about belly height). Stand with your feet hip distance apart, feet parallel to each other. Contract your abdominal muscles, lift your chest up and relax your shoulders back and down.
- Step 2: Hold onto the top of the chair with both hands. Take a step back with the right foot, then the left, about 2-3 feet from your chair.
- Step 3: Reach down with your right hand and grab your right ankle. Place your right ankle just above your left knee and allow your right knee to turn out.
- Step 4: Place your right hand back on the chair with your left. As you inhale, lengthen your spine, and as you exhale, press your hips back and hinge forward from your hips. Keep your back flat and standing leg straight but do not lock your knee. Allow your right knee to open to the right side, without turning your hips. Sit as deeply as you can and breathe deeply. Keep your abdominals contracted and shoulders sliding down your back. Stay here for 3-5 deep breaths.
- Step 5: To come out, as you inhale, rise up tall, and as you exhale, place your right foot back on the floor. Repeat on the other side.