Take 5 to Innergize
Seated Spinal Twist
Decreases stiffness and increases flexibility in back, massages and detoxifies internal organs (especially the kidneys), reduces stress, increases energy, increases range of motion and more.
- Step 1: Sit slightly forward on your chair, feet flat on the floor, legs at a 90 degree angle. Contract your abdominal muscles slightly, lift up through your chest and lengthen your spine. Drop your shoulders down your back.
- Step 2: Cross your right leg over your left and place the back of your left hand to the inside of your left knee. As you inhale, lengthen your spine and reach your right arm straight up. As you exhale, twist to the right. Bend your right arm and place the palm of your right hand either to the back of the chair or on top of it. As you inhale, lengthen, and as you exhale, twist deeper.
- Step 3: Keep your shoulders relaxed, chest lifted, breath easy. Twist more with your heart, not your neck. Stay here for 5 breaths.
- Step 4: To come out, release your right hand from the chair, and as you inhale, come back to centre, reaching straight up with your right hand. As you exhale, release your hand down. Uncross your legs, place both hands on your thighs, then repeat on the other side.
- Step 5: When you have finished on both sides, do a Seated Forward Bend, then roll up and return to work.