Take 5 to Innergize
Cow Face Arms
Opens and stretches tight chest muscles, releases tension in shoulders, chest, arms and neck, facilitates deeper breathing, improves circulation to upper body, including heart and lungs, reduces overall stress, increases energy and more.
- Step 1: Sit slightly forward on your chair, legs at a 90° angle, feet flat on the floor. Contract your abdominal muscles, roll your shoulders back and down, and lift your chest up.
- Step 2: As you inhale, reach your right arm straight up to the sky, and as you exhale, bend your elbow and place your hand on your upper back area. (Not shown) As you inhale again, reach your left arm straight up, and as you exhale, place your left hand on top of your right elbow. Gently press down with your left hand as you press up through your right elbow. You should feel a stretch in the back of your right arm, in your tricep area. Stay here for 3-5 breaths.
- Step 3: Either stay here, or to go further (shown), release your left arm and reach around to your lower back area. Clasp the ends of your fingers together. (If your hands do not reach, stick with Step 2.). Reach your right elbow up, left elbow down. Squeeze your fingers together. Breathe deeply into the space you are creating. Do NOT pop the front of your rib cage forward.
- Step 4: To release, take one last inhale, and as you exhale, release both hands and bring your arms to the front of your body. Shake out your arms and breathe normally.
- Step 5: Repeat on the other side, switching hand positions.